OTHER THINGS TO SEE & DO NEARBY

 

For shops within Lakeside Chautauqua,

Visit their website at: http://www.lakesideohio.com/visit/business-district/shopping

 

For restaurants within Lakeside Chautauqua,

Visit their website at: http://www.lakesideohio.com/visit/business-district/dining

 

Other historical sites in the area:

 

Johnson’s Island, Sandusky Bay

Confederate Civil War Prison Cemetery

Gaydos Drive, south off Bayshore Road (Route 163)

Marblehead, OH 43440

www.johnsonsisland.org

 

A prison for Confederate soldiers was established on Johnson’s Island in Sandusky Bay during the Civil War. The prison cemetery on the island is open to the public while the museum is located in Sandusky at the Ohio Veterans Home. The cemetery is the only site remaining from the original POW Depot on Johnson’s Island that is open to the public. There are neither comfort stations nor public picnic areas on the island. Visitors to the cemetery pay a $2 fee (in quarters or dollar bills) at a tollgate on Gaydos Drive to drive the causeway to the island.


The Keepers House

9999 E. Bayshore Road

Marblehead, OH 43440

419-798-9339

www.keepers.house

 

Maintained by the Ottawa County Historical Society, this is the oldest surviving home in Ottawa County. Built in 1822 of limestone from local quarries, it was the permanent home of the first three lighthouse keepers for the Marblehead Lighthouse. In addition to special events, the house, museum and gift shop are open from mid-June through August from 1-5 Tue, Wed, Thur and 11-3 Sat. Located 8 miles east of Lakeside.


Kelleys Island Glacial Grooves State Memorial (via ferry)

419-797-4530

www.kelleysisland.com

 

Travel from the Village of Marblehead dock by ferry to Kelleys Island, four miles away. The island is home to the largest and most spectacular example of glacial grooves in the world. Walkway and stairs permit good views of the grooves located on the north side of the island. Touring the island by bicycle or golf cart offers views of many historical buildings.


Kelleys Island Historical Society Museum (via ferry)

224 Division Street

Kelleys Island, OH 43438

419-746-2399

www.kelleysislandhistorical.org

 

The museum exhibits review the history of the island and its inhabitants and the gift shop offers books and other items of historical interest. Open from mid-May through September 12-4 Tue-Sun.


Lakeside Daisy State Nature Preserve

www.parks.ohiodnr.gov/lakesidedaisy

 

Located 0.5 mi south of Route 163/Main Street in the Village of Marblehead on the east side of Alexander Pike, 19 acres of old limestone quarried land protects the only natural U.S. population of the Lakeside Daisy. In early to mid-May, its bright yellow flowers adorn the bleak, sun-baked landscape of Marblehead quarry. Limited parking along the side of road. Open year-round, but flowering only in May


Liberty Aviation Museum

3515 East State Road at the Erie-Ottawa Regional Airport

Port Clinton, OH  43452

419-732-0234

www.libertyaviationmuseum.org

 

Liberty Aviation Museum holds a permanent collection of vintage aircraft, vehicles and other historical artifacts plus several aircraft and vehicles on loan. The museum facilities were built in 2011-2012, with the collection being housed throughout the museum, lobby, gift shop and hangar. An attached fully- restored 1950’s diner serves three meals daily. Open year-round 10-4 Sun-Thu and 10-5 Fri-Sat. Located 8 miles west of Lakeside.


Marblehead Lifesaving Station Replica

110 Lighthouse Drive

Marblehead, OH 43440

 

A replica of the1876 U.S. Lifesaving Station at Marblehead is to be constructed in the summer of 2015 near the Lighthouse on the State Park Property. The original Lifesaving Station was built on the site of the present U.S. Coast Guard Station, about a mile from the Lighthouse.


Marblehead Lighthouse Historical Society

110 Lighthouse Drive

Marblehead, OH 43440

419-734-4424, ext. 2

www.marbleheadlighthouseohio.org/

 

The Society operates the 1880 on-site keeper’s house museum and gift shop adjacent to the Marblehead Lighthouse. (See Marblehead Lighthouse State Park for hours of operation.)


Marblehead Lighthouse State Park

110 Lighthouse Drive

Marblehead, OH 43440

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/marbleheadlighthouse#overview

 

Built in 1821, the Marblehead Lighthouse stands as the oldest light­house in continuous operation on the Great Lakes. This beacon and its adjacent keeper’s house became an Ohio State Park in 1998. Known as the most pho­tographed site in the State of Ohio, the Mar­blehead Light­house beacon is now maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard. The park is open year-round. From June-Au­gust, tours of the Marblehead Light­house and on-site Keeper’s House Museum are held during the afternoon, six days a week. The buildings are also open on the second Saturdays from June-October. A fee of $2 is charged to visitors wishing to climb the lighthouse, but there is no charge to visit the museum. Located 4 miles east of Lakeside.


Ottawa County Court House

315 Madison Street

Port Clinton, OH 43452

www.co.ottawa.oh.us

 

The Ottawa County Courthouse was completed in 1901 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Constructed in the Richardson Romanesque style, the exterior of the courthouse was built using sandstone quarried at Amherst, Ohio. Pink marble wainscoting, an ornate staircase and stenciling enhance the interior. A copy of William Powell’s mural, “Perry’s Victory on Lake Erie,” is featured along with smaller murals depicting early county industries – farming, fishing, fruit growing and quarrying. Memorial tablets honor veterans from the Spanish-American War and Civil War. The public entrance is located at the back to the building. Visitors may walk through the hallways on all levels to view the murals and memorial tablets. Be sure to walk to the front of the building to appreciate the exterior construction. Open 9-5 Mon-Fri.   Located 11 west of Lakeside.


Ottawa County Museum

126 West Third Street

Port Clinton, OH 43452

419-732-2237

 

Established in 1932 by the Area Heritage Foundation, the mission of the museum is to preserve and protect records and artifacts pertinent to the development of Ottawa County, to provide educational information and to create a lasting memory for future generations to study.  This small museum features displays about the area. Hours are limited, so call first.  Located 11 miles west of Lakeside.


Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial (via ferry)

PO Box 549

Put-in-Bay, OH 43456

419-285-2184

www.nps.gov/pevi

 

Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial was established to honor those who fought in the Battle of Lake Erie, during the War of 1812, and to celebrate the long-lasting peace between Britain, Canada and the U.S. The Memorial, a Doric column rising 352 feet over Lake Erie, is situated on South Bass Island, five miles from the longest undefended border in the world. The visitor center and memorial column are open mid-May through September, 10-6 daily; Park Ranger talks are offered 11-4 daily. Put-in-Bay can be reached by ferry from Port Clinton.

 



 

 

Ferry Service to Lake Erie Islands:

 

Jet Express

3 Monroe St.

Port Clinton, OH  43452

(800)245-1538

fast@jet-express.com

High-speed ferry service to Put-in-Bay & Kelleys Island, from Port Clinton & Sandusky

 

Jet Express service has expanded from its original Port Clinton to Put-in-Bay route, to include the mainland ports of Sandusky and Lorain, with regular service to Kelleys Island and Put-in-Bay. Additionally, Jet Express offers its Excursion Adventure Cruises. These cruises are theme based and visit a variety of U.S. and Canadian ports, from Detroit to Cleveland. Located 11 miles west of Lakeside.


Kelleys Island Ferry Service

510 West Main Street

Marblehead, OH 43440

419-798-9763

http://www.kelleysislandferry.com/

 

Kelleys Island Ferry offers the only daily auto/passenger ferry service to Kelleys Island with a short 20 minute boat ride from Marblehead, Ohio offering views of the Marblehead Lighthouse, Put-in-Bay, Cedar Point and the Lake Erie Islands along the way. Boats are scheduled at least every hour (weather permitting) with additional service at peak times and holiday weekends. Located 2 miles east of Lakeside.